Thursday, September 9, 2010

Instructional Walk....Walk of the Sacred

*Walk until you find or remember what is sacred to you.*

*Observe the details and patterns that bring you to a sacred space.*

*When you find what could be sacred to you, offer something you find as a token of gratitude.*

*Remember this walk. For as long as you stay grounded in what you consider sacred you will find that is all you will need to know. Enjoy.*


In the spirit of the walk I chose to leave behind electronic and recording devices. I went with the intention to be fully present in my walk when I came across something sacred. My sense of smell and hearing became more attuned as I drank in the visual stimulation of the streets. I slowed down and really absorbed my environment. The sidewalk still wet from the rain, the plants and flowers vibrant. I do feel the foliage to be sacred, but I thought I would stretch myself beyond the ideas of the sacredness of plants and walked farther along.

It began to rain so I ducked into a covered parking lot. The smells were overbearing of car exhaust, garbage and sewage. The pavement was littered with trash and oil stains. I began to walk to a small cluster of trees to stay connected to the tranquil feeling I had been fostering. I turned around the corner when a glint of red on the ground caught my eye. I walked closer, but without expectation, not really searching, my eyes were just wandering. The red became more in focus and the gray around it took form into a lump. As I approached closer now, still heading for the trees, my heart skipped a beat and I inhaled sharply. I just found something very sacred.

The red puddle was fresh and small, the size of a quarter. The blood was pooled around a young birds head. The gray wings were extended up as if in flight, but the body was lying on the ground, dead. The eyes were closed. It must have been minutes ago that this bird took its last breath. Lying in the middle of the parking garage I knew that soon the bird would be run over. I wanted to honor the short life of the bird and scooped it up with a dried maple leaf in both my hands. I carried it over to the few trees and dug a shallow grave with my fingers. I buried the bird and covered him with ceder needles. I looked around for something to offer him in gratitude for showing me the sacredness of death and for the honor of laying him to rest. I found some lavender and feathers and adorned his burial mound. I said a prayer and walked on. Now pondering the cycle of life and death and how quick one turns into the other.

The idea of staying grounded in the sacredness of death for me is to live fully and without fear of death. Maybe that is really all I do need to know. The rest is just a wandering and discovery of the senses.

Blessings,
Narayani

No comments:

Post a Comment